Rainbow

Sunday 15 January 2017

END OF MODULE STUDENT EVALUATION OUIL504


 SUMMATIVE EVALUATION

OUIL504 has been a very informative and educational journey. I have discovered a plethora of new techniques and process’s that will inform my practice in all of my work following on from this module. In particular studio brief 2, printed pictures, was of great help to me in terms of helping with my confidence with making handmade and traditional work, which is something I always strive for. I thoroughly enjoyed experimenting with screen-print and having the opportunity to learn and create through being in the print room. I enjoyed working with colour and discovering different textures and mark making techniques that could be created through experimentation with hand printing. Discovering my enjoyment within this way of working was a transformative moment for me, I started to consider the possibilities of layering and experimenting with colour and textures through different print process’. During this brief, I often visited the library and looked up print artists online in order to get a better understanding of their work and practice. I’m excited and curious to experiment with, not only screen-print, but also monoprinting within my future work. As discussed in my blog, monoprinting was a difficult process for me to work with, I often find that my work can be particularly neat and very line based and when I have been forced into working with shape and pattern, a different side of my creative practice is seen. Through my extensive experimentation, I found it very helpful to reflect on my blog to further explore my enjoyment of the process and make note of any new techniques that I found worked particularly well for my work.
­­­In terms of reflecting on my print processes, I’m pleased with the outcome of my prints through the use of screenprinting. I like the use of layering in order to create the design and in contrast to other print techniques such as lino and mono, the ability to create the design before hand in positives is something that I find helpful in terms of being able to sustain the narrative in my work. In some ways, I wish I had explored combining the print techniques further, it might have been interesting to use a more ink based monoprint over the top of the more refined screenprints, however I am still thoroughly pleased with my final prints in the one technique that I used.

Studio Brief 3 was also a great learning curve for me. I really enjoyed looking at how I could change my work and animate it, this is something that I’ve always been curious about within my practice but I’ve never actually attempted so exploring movement and sound was an educational experience and something that I have also enjoyed. I found the after effects sessions incredibly helpful, I was able to fully understand the basics before creating anything more complex of my own. Following on from the sessions, I began to research into other movements that were possible with the programme and I quickly began to learn that the possibilities on after effects are endless. Through my research for studio brief 3, I again, quickly learnt what type of animations I enjoyed. The very traditional, almost naïve and hand made animations are something that to me, really show the craft of the illustrator and is something that I set out to make myself within my animations. I feel like I successfully created this in my own work, I worked hard and long hours in order to create the flickering, pencil mark based stings, and in general, I’m very pleased with the outcomes. After effects is definitely something that I would like to work with in the future of my practice.

In terms of studio brief 1, I found this the most difficult brief, despite the extensive roughing, I couldn’t make the final editorial pieces how I intended them to look. I think my struggles stemmed from using a digital platform to create my work, on reflection I should have focused more on creating them using a completely handmade approach. I learnt quickly that I struggle to make stand-alone editorial work as oppose to the work that I enjoy exploring more, which is a narrative style of working with sequential images.

Overall, OUIL504 has been a very successful module for me in terms of learning and exploring my own practice. Through my commitment to the course and long hours spent in the studio working out ideas and discovering ways of working, I think that I have progressed a large amount in my create abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment