Rainbow

Tuesday 31 January 2017

Children's Books

  • I have chosen to focus on children's publishing within 505, I feel like my work often has narrative undertones so it will be interesting to be able to explore this for a specific age group. 
  •  I'd like to be able to explore texture, pattern and colour in a fun and experimental way and I feel that childrens books and work aimed at children is the perfect level to work towards that on. 
  • My work for 504, in some ways felt a bit serious, it had a lot of meaning and thought behind it and I feel that I want to push myself into creating a more free and fun style of work, it will be a challenge to create meaningful work that still has meaning and a message behind it.
EXISTING CHILDREN'S BOOKS


SHACKLETON'S JOURNEY, ACTIVITY BOOK - WILLIAM GRILL


  • I love the delicate nature of William Grill's work. It's often a misconception that children's books should be LOUD, graphic and bright with bold illustrations but this activity book shows that simple and hand drawn work can work and entice children all the same. I would really like to have the chance to explore this similar way of working, especially in the way of having a narrative but still engaging and interacting with children in the activity book.
SHACKLETON'S JOURNEY - WILLIAM GRILL 

 Similar to the activity book, the narrative of William Grill's story book is delicate and simple yet educational and effective. This is such an interesting idea for a children's book, one of why I enjoye Grill's work so much. I find it different to other children's books in the same genre.

ADA - ATAK AND GERTRUDE STEIN
  • I really love the colours and print making methods used on this poetry book. This book may be for a slightly older child but nevertheless, the colours and bold imagery is an effective and quirky way of presenting a child's book.
  • I really love the idea of creating a poetry book, I feel that poetry is a beautiful way of communicative literature and i feel that it needs to be a more accessible genre of creative writing. It would be interesting to explore this and consider making something for children to promote this way of thinking.
  • I really really like the poster created alongside the book. A poster is used as a method of expression and the way that the child would display the artwork with educational literature is something that is both practical and decorative!! 
 A FIRST BOOK OF NATURE - MARK HEARLD
  •  I have been inspired by Mark Hearld's collage, experimental way of working for a long time. I really love his use of colour and texture in order to create his visually exciting illustrations. In terms of a children's book, this work is enaging and interactive, there are so many smaller details for the child to explore. This particular book would probably be read to by the parent, but the detail in the work makes the book exciting for both generations. 
  • I feel that I would be able to be experimental in a similar way with my new found love of print making. I'm exciting to get going with this project following on from 504.

THE CAT FROM HUNGER MOUTAIN - ED YOUNG


  •  I'm not personally a big fan of this method of collage but I can appreciate that these are an interesting and effective approach to creating children's books. I would question if children could understand and appreciate this way of creating artwork but this book was featured in New York Time's best children books of 2016.
  • I would be interesting to be experimental in the way that I go about making the publication for children. After this research I know that I don't want to create simple bold imagery, I feel that I can be a little more experimental with methods and techniques.
THE RAINBOW FISH - MARCUS PFISTER

  • I remember this book from my own childhood! Looking back, im reallllly not a fan of the artwork, it looks so dated now, but I remember the textures and the shiny aspects, i LOVED this. It would be AMAZING to be able to incorporate something like this within my creations. I have a heatpress induction tomorrow so I'll be able to start to experiment with things such as foiling, which would enhance the levels of my work as the texture would give it another aspect.






No comments:

Post a Comment