Rainbow

Tuesday 22 March 2016

Yoshiro Nakamatsu - Initial Drawings

I'm starting off by drawing simple portraits of Nakamatsu in order to get an understanding of him physically before i embarked on exploring his life outside of his appearance, i sketched from videos and footage of him, alongside photographs.
I understand that this isn't a portraiture brief but I'm really enjoying working on the human form and faces and this is something that i enjoy and haven't really had the chance to explore in a lot of depth up until now.
WHY WAS DRAWING YOSHIRO HELPFUL?
  • I think that having an understanding of something or someone physically makes it easier to understand the actions of things that they do. It enables me to imagine them in their lives and helps understand why they are doing what they do and how they are doing it, this is something that is really important, particually in this project.

  • Despite this not being a strict portraiture brief, there is nothing to say that i couldnt include the image of yoshiro within my work, i think that his overall appearance and way that he dresses is something that makes him, him, and this is definitely something that i am interested in exploring in even more depth. 




BRINGING IN COLOUR
 I have started to consider the concept of using bright colours or a plethora of colour within this project. Through research i have understood the bright and bold colours that are used in japanese talk shows, in which i have discovered yoshiro frequently appears on. I really like the idea of representing his culture and general aesthetic alongside the image of him as a person.

I also considered the idea of looking at japanese cartoons and seeing how these can have an effect on my drawings. i attempted to use blocky lines and shapes and look at how these can be transformed into portraits. This is a very different method for me, i do like the general look of that style but i don't think it will show my best potential if i embarked on an entire brief focusing on stylising my drawings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment