Rainbow

Friday 18 March 2016

Initial Brighton Sketches

I began to think about the images that I had explored for brighton and how most of them consist of colourful beach huts and sea side imagery. I think this would be a good starting point to create a postcard for the city.

I relooked at the images and began to draw out beach huts in their most simple form. I often find myself struggling with building and architecture as i struggle to think about the angles and direction of shapes. However, after studying the images and creating quick sketches I found it easier to comprehend this idea of 3D beach huts in my mind.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THIS SKETCHBOOK DEVELOPMENT

  •  My improvement with drawing buildings, although no where near perfect or how i aspire my building drawing to be, i really feel like the more i practice this, the better i will get.
  • how i have linked the style of these sketchbook drawings to my development of my miami, I have been really wanting to make the postcards work together really well and coherently as a set and the more i continue to focus on colours and my drawing technique, the easier this will be to achieve.
  • the way i have been using pattern and repetition. i think works really well and really enhances the way that the image can work together. 
WORRIES ABOUT MY SKETCHBOOK WORK


  •  I'm slightly concerned about the colours that I'm using, I'm really trying hard to make sure that they all work together but i just feel like I'm overworking it, i need to narrow the colours down but still be able to show the bright and colourful nature of the brighton beachhuts.
  • my beach hut drawings aren't very 'good' in my opinion, in terms of the angles and shapes I've used, i have always struggled with this, but i really feel like for this specific brief, its not an issue as it will be a lot easier to achieve the right shapes on illustrator with the blocks of colour and shape.
  • building shapes and angles aren't a worry for this brief, but i will definately work on this in the future. 


Following the sketches I began to think about colours that I could use, seeing as I have decided that this will be the linking factor between the postcards. The beach huts are often very colourful, using patterns. Although I think this aspect of using patterns would be interesting, I don't want to overcomplicate the images, especially as I will be using a lot of colours already.

HELPFUL?
  • physically drawing out the colours in this way was so helpful to get an understanding of how they would work together when making the postcards.
  • i can see that some of the previous colour combinations that i was considering for the beach huts definitely wouldn't have worked and I'm so glad that i experimented with this in my sketchbook!
  • PROBLEM SOLVED..KIND OF?

No comments:

Post a Comment