Rainbow

Sunday 20 March 2016

Greetings from - gradient tool and final postcards!

FINAL POSTCARDS

Following on from my inspiration from Yoko Honda I added a gradient to the background of my postcards, this worked SO well and i was so pleased with the results! I attempted to keep a similar colour palette to what i already had going on within the postcard in an attempt not to over complicate it, this deifnetly worked in my favour and i'm so happy with the outcomes.

MIAMI
WHAT WENT WELL?
  • I'm really pleased with how the miami postcard has resolved itself. I'm really pleased with howI have resolved the colour palette and have kept to the idea of using colours to represent the locations. The pastel colours and tones that i've used for me, really show the miami aesthetic.
  • The composition has worked really well, the palm trees in the foreground almost up the viewer up like a door to enter into the postcard.
WHAT I WOULD CHANGE?
  • If I were to do this postcard again I would consider how I could use the colours in an even more subtle way. In some parts i find that the colours clash too much and this isn't very good in terms of showing the location to its best ability. 
  • I would look at how i could be more dynamic with the way that i drew the buildings and the palm trees, they don't nessasarily look 'flat' but they just don't stand out and look as 3D as I would have wanted them to.


BRIGHTON
WHAT WENT WELL?
  • I think that again, my use of colour and consideration for the palette has worked really well. Im so pleased with how i have considered the colours by looking at how i can use a bit of each beach hut in another, this was really useful way of tying the image together.
  • the sense of depth within the image works really well, by placing the beachuts at slightly different levels, it really allows the image to draw you into it, I'm really happy with how I've done this.
WHAT I WOULD CHANGE?
  • If i were to do this image again i would focus on making it more 'earthy' in a sense, maybe less straight lines and more old wooden planks? I think thats just my limited skills on illustrator, by I would love to revisit a project like this when i have more advanced skills and see if i can create shapes that represent the locations rather than just focusing on the colour.



CAPE TOWN
WHAT WENT WELL?
  • The gradients that i have used on the walls is really effective in this postcard. i think it really give the image a sense of depth.
  • the composition of all of the elements within the frame. This is the busiest postcard in my opinion and that made it difficult to place each aspect in the correct part on the image, particularly the plant pots and pillars, however, through my roughs i think that i have explored this well and it works coherently.

WHAT WOULD I CHANGE?
  • I would probably change the whole layout and image as a whole, this is my least favourite postcard of the set,  i find it to be too busy, and despite saying i think the composition works well, i find that i should have used less components and objects in the first place so that i didn't overcomplicate it, which i think i have !!
  • im not too keen on the colours in this postcard, i think i could have worked a lot harder in create a more solid palette for them to work on. although i have used a similar palette for the other postcards, it just doesn't seem to fit very well in this one.



OSLO
WHAT WENT WELL?
  • i LOVE the colours on this postcard! i think the pastel colours work so well against the darker green and the way that i have done the wood on the cabins really shows off all of the colours to their full potential.
  • I'm really happy with the composition of this postcard, the way that i have given the image a sense of depth by placing some of the cabins further up the hill and added darker tones of green on the hill works really well in terms of giving depth to this image.


WHAT WOULD I CHANGE?

  • I would probably add even more cabins to the image to make it truly representational of the cabins in oslo. i would try and spread the cabins out a bit as i find that they seem slightly cramped which may, in some ways, take away from the colours in the piece. 





No comments:

Post a Comment