Rainbow

Tuesday 16 February 2016

Digital Gif


 I had been putting off the idea of doing the digital gif for a while just because I felt nervous about using purely photoshop to create work as I have never done this before, I have only ever used it as a tool to assist work that I have hand drawn. I started off by drawing this character, however I felt like when translating it in the same format to a digital way it really didn't work in the same way as it did on a hand drawn way. It looks almost as if its designed to be 'cute' and not so much shy and coy. I began to look back at my other experiments and felt like the colour pencil drawings could potentially work when translated into digital format, particularly the one where i have attempted to use texture and more detail.
Following on from this, I looked at how translating this to digital format could be a good way of adding the textures in a more simple way. I thought about different ways i could animate this, and the idea of the fur moving seemed like an interesting concept to me. Again, I wanted to create something subtle to show the shy and awkward nature of the bunny boy character so I considered the idea of slowly blinking something that could potentially show the character in a different light compared to my hand drawn gif.
I really struggled with the digital gif as I could understand the different layers and how they corresponded with each moving image but after practise and planning i was able to work out a method in order to make the gif consistent and smooth.


When watching the gif through for the first time, the white background seemed to stark, I felt that it needed something to enhance the characteristics of the shy bunny. I added the rain in order to give a subtle effect of feeling anxious and nervous.


What I like?
I'm really happy with the way that I have animated this gif, I think it works well and is smooth yet subtle in the way that he blinks with the rain gently falling. I really like the line texture and the way the fur and ear colour is animated, i think that I've done this well.

What I don't like?
I don't feel like the character works well in terms of translating it on a digital platform, I don't think i have followed through the same method and ways that I used to create my other gif and Ihavent really followed the way I developed the character. Despite this I still feel like the character works in conveying the emotion but i wish that it still looked at the way the character has its own qualities. I also feel like the gif goes too quickly in order to show the feeling of awkward, I think that if the rabbit blinked more slowly and the fur moved less frantically then it would have portrayed the emotions better.

No comments:

Post a Comment