Rainbow

Friday 5 February 2016

Character Development - Circle Bird

For the next character that I began to develop, I started with a different approach as I found that creating from pure imagination wasnt always working for me. I looked at a reference image of a bird and from this started to sketch other shapes with the same face on and using a similar colour palette. I really liked these sketchy birds, they're cute and I feel that they could have a lot of potential with creating happy bouncy characters..potentially.


I began to create these similar characters but with more detail and colour. I am really fond of these and like I said i feel that they have a lot of potential to become great characters. After doing these following an image from a reference, I definitely feel that I have better ideas and drawing skills when working from my imagination with just references there for quick ideas and general shapes rather than being directly drawn from.


Like I said before I wanted to use the unpredictable rainbow pencil, however again I don't think that it would work the best in this project either.

I began to experiment with colour as an addition to the line marks using the mechanical pencil as a contrast to the thinner marks of a fine liner. Although I do like the pencil as it adds some tone and line quality, I feel like a gif might be easier to create and flow well using the ink and fine liner.
This was my final character design for the bird, I am really happy with the way the media turned out, particularly the way that the ink has spread out and merged with the other colours, I am a fan of this! Saying this, i think it would be difficult to keep this as a consistent gif if I were to go ahead and make it flow well.





No comments:

Post a Comment