Rainbow

Thursday 4 February 2016

Character Development - Balloon Bunny

 My next character that I chose to develop, came from a selection of rabbit drawings that I found interesting. My initial thought process for drawing the rabbits was that I wanted to step away from drawing humans as I find that I often just fall into the trap of just drawing what I am comfortable with, I really wanted to pursue with a creature that I haven't had much experience with working with before. After a variety of sketches I really got into the swing of drawing rabbits, and was really enjoying stepping away from the natural human face that I was so used to.
I began to use a similar approach as before, by using the coloured circles and drawing rabbits on the top of these in order to hopefully discover a character and personality stemming from the shape of the circles.

Following on from these experiments, I came across the idea of creating balloon shapes from the drawings. I was instantly drawn to this idea and really wanted to pursue as I found it would make an interesting gif along with the character design itself.
I then created this image which really inspired me and I began to think about other possibilities.
Following on from this character design, I feel that I should have probably considered more about the gif when in the initial character design phase. Through thinking about the movements that the characters will make it actually makes it easier to give them personalities and traits rather than making that an after thought when considering how they will act in the gif.



I created a storyboard of how the gif will move with the bunny balloon characters. I feel that its quite hard to follow and read but I really made it for my own reference. The gif would consist of watching the bunny balloons float upwards with moving aspects such as their ears and faces twitching, they would reach a place in the sky and would pop. Another ides started the same but finished with them continuing to float upwards into the sky.
I think with this particular gif I could have given each balloon more of a personality or worked on making them work as individuals rather than only working together as a mass of characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment