Rainbow

Tuesday 2 February 2016

Character Design

The new brief consists of creating a series of characters in order to have a final end result of three animated GIFS including the characters. Initially this task seemed daunting, with the idea of creating a series of characters, each with their own flare and personality a difficult task to do! In the past I have doodled various creatures and faces but the idea of creating physical characters with personalities seemed a difficult concept. I started by drawing shapes and colourful spots then adding faces and features to them. I found this a helpful starting point to create a series of characters. I found that the shapes ending up inspiring different personalities and styles of faces. I really enjoyed this activity as it relied on pure imagination and creativity which is often something that comes as an after thought following a series of drawings from references. In this aspect the first part of the brief was really enjoyable.
I particularly liked the aspect of being creative with a variety of materials such as goache and coloured pencils as it enabled me to create different characters based on the way that the materials worked in elements and features such as their hair and facial features.




I really like the way I have kept with the natural, almost organic colour scheme which on its own seems to almost create the idea of a series of characters and personalities.
I am going to continue to create these faces and features until I find one that I am particularly fond of! I would also like to experiment with creating other creatures and objects and changing them into faces with personalities.

No comments:

Post a Comment