Rainbow

Thursday 18 February 2016

Creating the 3D gif

For my three dimentional gif I wanted to create a puppet version of my character. I was really curious to find out what he would look like in this format and I felt that this was the most effective way possible to create the gif in a 3D way. I used air drying clay to most the face and each body part. I have worked with this before and I really enjoy physically shaping and forming something especially when it is something thats only really viewed in a 2D way before.
I was pleased with how the head turned out, however I would have probably made the ears slightly bigger to be the same as the drawing, but due to restrictions of the media, I didn't want the ears to break as a result of it. I felt that I was successful in replicating the face of the character and translating it on to this different platform.




I decided to make the limbs and hands and feet of the puppet easily moveable and that I would attach string to them to make him move, I felt that this was the best way possible to animate him as gif without having to move him about too much by touching, which could potentially ruin the continuity of the gif.

When it came to painting the head I felt that I wanted to add a bit of colour in a similar way to the digital gif as I felt that if I continued with the colour scheme of the hand drawn one that the white might get lost in the background that I was going to use of the gif and the facial features might not have been picked up. I am pleased with how the painting of the face turned out and I feel that I have used shading and tone well in order to shape and construct the face.


When it came to putting the body together, I struggled to construct a shape that would easily stay upright and together without looking too harsh and dramatic, because even with the puppet, I was still trying to convey the awkward and shy approach. This is a particular reason why I created the limbs so thin as I think it adds to the delicate and gentle appearance.
I used felt to make the clothing of the puppet, I felt that its soft texture would add the element of being fragile and shy and i think the white compliments well with the pale skin.


No comments:

Post a Comment