Rainbow

Wednesday 7 December 2016

BIRD PRINT

Following on from the symmetry and mirrored image of the woman print, i wanted to create a design that didn't rely on the symmetrical element of the design to fill the composition. I had previously considered the idea of using birds as a way of representing a quote of Carter's as she often speaks of birds as being maternal and instinctively knowing how to care for their eggs.
I considered that with different aspects of nature within the design for this print, i could create a harmonious composition that had a lot of different elements and details within it.
  • Following on from an extensive roughing process, i began to research into different birds that i would accurately be able to represent as a way of showing the narrative I've trying to portray, which is that of a maternal, and natural one.
  • I visited the library and took out a number of nature books, including the encyclopaedia of EVERYTHING in the natural world which gave me a massive range of drawing sources to begin my designs with.
  • As always with my drawings, i make a quick sketch and then trace over them to refine and add details. I find this process really helpful when it comes to refining my designs. It's also helpful to play around with the compositions whilst the designs are on tracing paper. 


Once I was happy with the two designs i was fairly confident with arranging them on photoshop as I had been designing within my roughs, the further i get within to creating my prints, i feel like the process speeds up slightly, allowing me to produce more work and then have time to go back and edit any mistakes or elements that I'm not very pleased with.

NEXT STEPS
  • Start printing with this design, this is my favourite so far i think, I'm really pleased with all the different imagery I've used and i feel like it could be really successful! I might even be experimental with the colours, keeping in mind similar tones in order for the prints to work as a set.
  • Begin to consider my final design and how I can use the narrative and meaning of it to tie my 4 prints that i already have together.

I have been experimenting with scanned images of real flora and overlaying them over my hand drawn images. Maybe i could experiment with screen printing an image like this to see the outcome. However i wouldn't want to start a new design process such as this for the current brief as if wanted them to all link to each other, i just wouldn't have the time to go back and add new elements such as this into each print. I'll keep this idea in mind though!!



No comments:

Post a Comment