Rainbow

Monday 11 January 2016

Illustrator Research - Martha Verschaffel

In Martha Verschaffel's work she uses subtle colours and the medium of pencil. I really like the hand drawn and real feeling this gives to her work. Her mark making and strong lines gives such emotion to her work and this really draws me in and makes me believe her characters and narratives. I want to recreate this texture and tone in my work, focusing on the way that I use the pencil as well as looking at how I can subtly draw faces yet put tone and texture in clothing much like the way Verschaffel does.
I feel that with no colour in her work, it definitely adds to the emotion and tone of voice in the story. It draws me into the story and characters themselves, colours would defiately be a gimmick if they were to be added to her work.
I feel that I have overlooked the medium of pencil, it is definitely something that I would like to improve my use of. When working I often go to the medium of fine liner and I have learnt to discover that this is a medium that can often lack texture and marks, however pencil gives another element.


No comments:

Post a Comment