Rainbow

Sunday 26 March 2017

Screenprint and Foiling Experiments

Following on from my storyboarding, I thought it would be useful to consider the practicalities of the creation of the book. I wanted to be mindful of the techniques and process' that I would be using in order to not overcomplicate the process when it comes to creating the book. I have previously discussed the idea of using foiling within the book in order to make it stand out from other similar products and make it something that couldn't be so easily replicated online.
I asked the print technicians and they discussed with me the possilbitiy of using metallic ink when screen printing, as this could give a shimmer to the print and again, make it something that couldn't be so easily replicated online.
I began to experiment with this method, using the gold and silver inks on a number of different coloured stock. 
Although the metallic ink looked effective, I feel that it was a very long process and I wanted the stars and moon to be in colours that seemed slightly unusual to make them even more kooky yet appealing characters. 
I also experimented with the foiling within the prints and I really really like how this turned out. This will definitely be a technique that I'll be using in my final products. I really feel that it adds a finishing touch to a piece and gives it an edge over a flat colour product.
I will need to use the foiling method sparingly, not overcrowding the image, perhaps I could use it as a border or an outline of some of the characters, making them stand out.

NEXT STEPS
  • Finalise characters, making sure I'm happy with them and consider how they could be used in other stories and poems.
  • Research foiling methods of other illustrator and designers and see how they have used this technique in their work.





No comments:

Post a Comment