Rainbow

Tuesday 4 April 2017

Foiling Examples

I'm planning on using the technique of foiling within my book. As I have previously said, my reason for doing so is to encourage the reading of physical products by children in this age of phone and tablet screens as the main sources of entertainment.
I feel that foiling is a visually interactive and exciting aspect of print and I really want to include this in my product.

I've been exploring other designers and creators that use this method and how either complex or simply they are able to use this process.

This book cover by Peter Mendelsund uses foiling in a way that is simple yet effective in terms of shape and pattern. Due to the cover being fairly simple, the metallic foil adds an exciting feature making the cover more appealing and playful.





The key to this technique seems to be to not overcomplicate the use of foiling. It's most effective when used sparingly and effectively.


These business cards by Jot Paper Company use a simple line work and foiling. I feel that the foiling adds a sense of alternative design to the cards, allowing them to stand out amoungst other cards. 
Again, the design is fairly simple without over using the foil. I'll have to keep this aspect in mind when coming to creating my pages for the poetry book.

Again, The gold design by '@digitaslbi' uses a simple line drawing alongside the text in order for the foiling to stand out and and work on it's own in a simple and non overcomplicated way.

I will really really need to focus on this aspect. I always seem to overcomplicate my work, but especially if I'm wanting to use a technique like this, I'm going to have to do a lot of planning and restrain myself from not using too many unnessasary colours or embellishments within my work.
I managed to do that in OUIL404 by holding myself back with the use of colour and from that I felt I learnt a lot, so I suppose it's holding on to that knowledge and stopping myself from over complicating designs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment