Rainbow

Saturday 28 November 2015

Sketchbook Work for Shape Task

When started the shape task, I was really struggling to think of an idea that used fully shape. It's definitely something that I haven't really considered working much with in the past which is why I think i struggle with it so much. I am very used to working with line and although I enjoy this and feel that it often benefits my work, i feel like shape could work so well and really enhance my work and take it to the next level. There are so many qualities that go alongside shape such as collage and simple image making, this is deifnatetly a skill that I would really like to learn.
As I haven't had much experience with shape, i thought it would help me to start with a line drawing and transform this into a shape piece.  I looked at faces to begin with as there are clear defining shapes on the human face that are easily recognisable. I also considered symbols and basic marks and block colours that immediately suggest an object. The simple shapes for eggs and avocados were a starting point, although i got a bit side tracked and slipped back into line work, this was a real struggle for me...



Following not getting very far with the human face, I began looking at birds as i considered that the feathers and different colours and textures that feathers have could work really well in shape form. Again, i began by drawing line images as this made me make sense of how i could translate it in my mind. I wish i could see in instantly in shapes, hopefully in time i'll be able see how shape can work more fluidly in my work because at the moment it's feeling very forced.


Following drawing in line, I began to fill the shapes in, this really assisted me in creating the shapes that i would be using. I really like the anthropomorphic idea with the birds heads with outfit, i feel like using this idea in the set of three will enable me to create a set that will work well and uses shape in a variety of ways and hopefully textures.




No comments:

Post a Comment