Rainbow

Thursday 5 November 2015

Do Judge a Book By It's Cover - Research


 I visited the bookshop 'Waterstones' in order to look at existing book covers in order to get an idea of ways that I could approach mine. I particularly like the idea of an illustrated cover with hand drawn type in order to give the book an authentic book with character. 
I also discovered that the covers that kept to simple colours were often more effective than those with too many as the title was taken away from with all of the impact from the shapes and shades. 

 My favourite cover was the 'People of Print' book cover, I love the bold and dramatic type with the detailed yet simply coloured background adding character and narrative to the cover. Another favourite was the 'A First Book of Nature' illustrated by Mark Herald who uses cut out and collage in order to create the intricate and engaging covers. This is definitely something that I will be experimenting with in order to create my covers. The top three things I have gained from this is:

  • Try to keep the colours simple and don't be too overwhelming that the title can't be seen.
  • Try and keep the Title fairly central in order to draw the reader in to the book.
  • Don't over complicate the whole cover in general with too much detail in the illustration.










No comments:

Post a Comment