Rainbow

Sunday 15 November 2015

OUIL403 VISUAL SKILLS - End of Module Self Evaluation - BA (Hons) ILLUSTRATION

1.  Which practical skills and methodologies have you developed within this module and how effectively do you think you are employing them within your own practice?

In the visual skills module I have learnt a variety of skills and illustrative techniques that have enhanced my image making skills. I definitely feel that my use of colours and colour palettes has improved since doing the visual skills module. I found that when the brief specifically said to only use 2-3 colours it really challenged me to be selective as this is something that I have struggled with in the past. In the final book cover brief in the module I feel that I effectively employed the selective use of colour technique.
I also found that the idea of working to a specific size restraint to be very helpful in order to aid my practice and since the briefs I have found myself trying to work to specific scales and shapes. 

2. Which principles/ theories of image making have you found most valuable during this module and how effectively do you think you are employing these within your own practice?

In the module I have found the idea of repetition and roughing very helpful in the process of image making. When initially getting a brief, I now draw everything that comes to mind based on words and ideas in the given task. I find that when repeating the same drawings multiple times I begin to generate new ideas, this is definitely something that I have taken away from the module. Also, the method of rough is very valuable when it comes to idea generation and creating more effective outcomes.

3. What strengths can you identify within your submission and how have you capitalised on these?

In my submission of Visual Skills I feel that my strengths lay within the character and in some cases, the narrative in my work. I definitely feel that through the planning and image making process, I was able to create a variety of different characters that tie my work together and in some cases add a humorous element to the pieces. Particularly in the 'Day in the Life' brief where I explored the idea of visual metaphors and using wolves as opposed to human characters to represent 'LAD culture'  

4. What areas for further development can you identify within your submission and how will you address these in the future?

I feel that within my work I need to focus on the idea of narrative in order to allow the viewer to me more engaged and emotionally attached to my work. To do this I could look further into the topic I am exploring in order to get a better understanding of the physical story behind it. I also feel that I need to explore media in more depth, focusing on how I can use digital aspects to enhance my hand drawn work and vise versa. 

5. In what way has this module introduced you to the Ba (Hons) Illustration programme?

The module has definitely taught me that illustration does not necessarily have to be about the drawing or the 'likeness' to the subject, but should focus on how to convey a certain message or idea to the subject that you are illustrating. I have been introduced to the idea that illustration and image making are different but at the same time both need to work together in order to be the most effective it can be. I have also been introduced to the idea that the creation of an 'illustration' itself needs multiple experiments and roughs, with a lot of idea generation in order to be identifiable to the topic. 

6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:

Attendance - 4

Punctuality - 5

Commitment - 4

Quantity of Work Produced - 3

Quality of Work Produced - 4

Contribution to the Group - 4


No comments:

Post a Comment