Rainbow

Saturday 14 November 2015

Do Judge A Book By It's Cover - Final Bookcover

For my final book cover design I decided to use a digital media as this is something which I definitely would like to improve with. I am really pleased with how it has turned out and I definitely feel that my Waterstones research an many experiments have played a very large part in making the book cover, in my opinion, a successful one.

What do I like?

 I am particularly pleased with how I have approached the colour scheme of the book cover. Before starting on the course I would have approached this with a very large colour palette but the idea of being selective with colour is definitely something that I have learnt and have found that it's a very useful tool in order to make the cover more readable.
I'm also pleased with how I have done a large scale illustration and used the whole book cover to display this, I am really pleased with how I have made the design flow through.

 What DON'T I like?

I feel that I could have worked more on the illustration of the plane as this is a subject that I haven't approached before and I could have definitely worked more on the proportions, sizing and angels of the structure.
I am really happy with the colour scheme but I'm unsure as to whether the palette suits the tone of the book, I tried to get across the idea of a nautical theme but I don't think this comes across very well at all and instead looks almost too 'cutesy' and shiny which I am not a great fan of.


What would I of done DIFFERENTLY?!


If I were to do the cover again I would have definitely looked into different ways that I could print as I found that the colours changed quite a lot when I printed with the printer. Due to time and printing restrictions I wasn't able to do this but for my next digital based project I will definitely look further into this.
I would have also experimented even more with different colour schemes and potential layouts that would possibly be more effective?
I would have probably made the title more central and made a bigger deal out of it as I feel that at the top it is slightly out of the way and through my research I found that it should be central and I ignored this aspect which I definitely shouldn't have.
I also liked this more simple colour scheme, however I felt that I couldnt just leave it so simple, maybe this is something I need to work on and get over the idea of the need inside of me to over complicate and over decorate.

Overall I am fairly pleased with the cover but I definitely think I need to improve on my photoshop skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment