Rainbow

Wednesday 1 February 2017

Illustration 12 - lets eat grandma

Following on from my first album cover, I was really pleased with the effect of the screen print. I particularly liked my use of halftone and gradient, based on the success of this, i wanted to be even more EXPERIMENTAL!!

I decided to illustrated the album cover of deep six textbook by let's eat grandma. For me, this is quite an abstract and unusual song so I really wanted to portray this idea in the design. From the lyrcis and sound of the song I felt that it was in some way connected to nature and the sound of the sea, so wanted to portray this in the form of pattern and block shape. The larger rock in the centre of the design was also a result of this thought process.

For this design to really push the boat out and for me to step outside of my comfort zone, I really wanted to use a new process, and the process of foiling was something that I had been wanting to learn for a while. The almost wavy and psychedelic feel of this song was the perfect chance to include an element of foiling. I didn't want to overpower the design with this aspect so I thought about using it subtly, including a simple grid in the background for this shiny effect.

I really struggled with the colours for this piece. I know I wanted a pastel and quite feminine feel to the cover as I felt that this best represented the band but at the same time I didnt wan't the cover to be too washy and not have a bold and stand out effect.

I was also planning on using a half tone background as I feel that in my previous album cover design this element was really successful and I'd like to try it out again.

woo hoo! the foiling was SUCH a success, I'm so so proud of myself, I did find it quite unnerving attempting a completely new process but I feel that the final piece has come out so so well! I did have some issues with the screenprint itself but I feel that this only adds to the hand made asthetic of the design, which is one of my favourite elements of screenprinting. 
The holographic foil, I feel really completes the piece and gives it that final element of design that I felt it needed to represent the song!


No comments:

Post a Comment