Rainbow

Thursday 17 November 2016

Study Task 3 - Three Illustrators using Print Processes

MARK HERALD - Lino Cuts
  • Mark Herald uses a mixture of lino and silk screen prints in order to create his prints. In this particular 'Goose' print he has used a mixture of four colours to print, with elements of overlay in order to create a more tones and shades adding to the interesting, detailed nature of his work.
  • This use of almost expressive colour within his prints creates and interesting and almost handmade collage effect within his prints, despite the physical process of lino seeming more controlled.  
  • I really like the mark making process that Herald uses within his prints, the swift lines and marks is something that I also try to create in my own practice to add a sense of movement and detail and it's encouraging to see that this can be translated into other print processes such as lino.
  • The prints are sold individually but he also has a number of books that present his print works within stories and children's books. The detail and collage nature of his work really plays well alongside the handmade and in some way 'folk art' style within his practice.
  • I would really like to experiment with a similar method of working. I won't be able to be AS experimental with the colours due to restrictions, however, it would be interesting to take a similar approach in terms of the collage aspect. 


BEN RIDER - Screen Prints
  • Ben Rider has a very experimental approach to screen printing. I'm fascinated by the busy, colourful overlays and interesting combination of refined type with the experimental hand made text mixed with the illustrations and half tone photographs. The collage aspect of his work really works and i can't stop exploring his work and discovering different aspects of the print.
  • Although I LOVE the aesthetic of Ben Rider's prints, I find that my work is often quite simple in comparison, i strive to have my work like this, but it's really difficult for me to get my head around overlaying a lot of images in this particular way. 
  • Due to this being a brief working with a lot of narrative and learning about the different print methods, it may be the wrong brief to go completely off track in terms of my way of working. I know for a fact that I really want to experiment a lot more with screen print in this particular nature, but with time restrictions i don't think i would be able achieve this for this brief! However, that doesn't mean I can't take inspiration from his work. The use of half tone is something that I want to learn the technique of and Ben Rider uses this is a really interesting way.
  • His prints are sold individually or as illustrations for posters which is something that I have also been interested in using my work for!


SONNENZIMER - NICK BUTCHER/TODD IRWIN/JORDAN MARTINS - Screen Prints

  • I discovered this collection of print artists on the website 'people of print',  I really enjoy the strong use of typography alongside the very hand rendered illustrations and mark making using the screen print medium. I'm intrigued by the way the artists have used screen print to print out a hand made quality such as the brushstrokes and pencil marks. This is such an interesting technique, it would be really intriguing to scan in these marks of my own to see if i can too, create this similar effect.
  • I really like the simple colours used in these prints, again I didn't have colour restrictions within my work then I would be able to consider aspects such as this, but never the less, I still want to explore what different colours can change the viserol feelings and emotions that the prints can give.
  • I also like the use of text, this could be something potentially really interesting to use in my work, seeing as I'm looking at angela carter, it would be really interesting to see how quotes from her poems and stories could intertwine my illustrations. 
  • Again, these prints have been used for posters and sold as individual prints, the idea of creating work purely to sell as prints is something that really excites me, i definitely want to explore this method of creating to sell in more detail.







No comments:

Post a Comment