Rainbow

Wednesday 16 November 2016

LINOCUTTING

Following on from the linocutting induction, I was so keen so get started with a more refined lino cut design! I loved the free aspect of the designing process and wanted to experiment further with how I could manipulate this aspect of the method of lino cutting. I really like the texture that it gives and I wanted to experiment to be able to see if the marks and texture that the method gives would work well alongside my work.
I decided to stay with the design of the baby, as before with mono printing, I've experimented with this design and I know that this is definitely something that i'd like to use for one of my final prints.

WHAT WENT WELL?
  • I found  that with mono printing as a technique, its' a really effective way to explore the idea of composition and how this can be changed and experimented with in order to get a better understanding behind the meaning and message of the print.
  • I liked being able to experiment so easily with colour but still being able to keep that hand rendered element of the printing technique. 
  • I love the 'folksy' appearance of the lino printing method, I feel like it really represents the way of representing imgary that Im trying to create, this is a really positive thing to come out of experimenting with lino, i know that i really want to create this viserol feeling when people look at my work and I know that I now have the means of doing this. 
WHAT COULD OF GONE BETTER?
  • I don't think I'm very happy with the 'messiness' of the lino prints. I know this is a main aspect of the printing technique, but i just don't know if I'm happy with how that effects the imagery that I'm trying to use. I find that my work is quite linear and specific and I don't think I'm happy enough to just let the bold shapes be as 'messy' as they are in this design.
  • I would like to have a little more detail in my work and i don't think that lino printing allows me to do this in the style that I want it to be in. That's fine though, I'm really glad I've experimented and seen how my work could look in this way of working, but I'm glad i know that i don't want the main image of the prints to look like this in the final pieces. maybe i could experiment with combining a more refined printing method such as screen printing with this more hand rendered method. 

No comments:

Post a Comment