Rainbow

Tuesday 5 April 2016

Persons of Note - Thought Process Shapes and Postcard Ideas

EXPERIMENTING WITH SPRAY PAINT AND STENCILS.
For this brief I promised myself that I would be more adventurous with the way that i created the outcome. I wanted to make sure that I was:

  • EXPERIMENTAL WITH COLOUR
  • WORKING WITH SHAPE AND PATTERN (BLOCKS)
  • LOOKING AT DIFFERENT METHODS OF WORKING
I decided that working with a cut out stencil and spray paint would be a really effective method of working and creating as an initial basis for the postcards.






I cut out a grid shape pattern that I'll use to represent the tiles on the bottom of a swimming pool. 
Something that i really enjoyed about the spray paint method was just being so experimental with the colours that i was using. I really enjoyed seeing which combinations worked together and which didn't. Each combination created a different atmosphere and a different feeling and this was such a nice way to discover that.
i can't wait to start playing on photoshop and combining layers and colours to see what other shapes and patterns i can create.

PROS OF USING SPRAY PAINT

  • Quick method to create a number of prints and be experimental with colour
  • beautiful textures and blurs that really add another element of that hand made traditional look, which is something that i strive for in my work and i often feel photoshop and other digital methods take away from.
  • great for a swimming pool look as the spray paint often goes watery or blurry which, in this case, really adds to the effect!!!
CONS OF USING SPRAY PAINT

  • Can sometimes potentially look a bit tacky, you can't mix the colours yourself so its difficult to get the exact tone that you want.
  • This is the main reason why i will be scanning my spray painted prints into the computer so that ill be able to play around with the colours but still keep that texture on the prints.
  • SMELLS really bad.


After previous experimentation, i have decided to use cut out shapes as a method of narrating yoshiros creative process. I really like the idea of physically showing something that can't actually been seen, this is something that is almost physcadellic in some ways and that really inspires me.





I went back to my previous image making technique of collage in order to see if the spray painted background would enhance my drawings and photographs, i really think they work well and I'm so happy that i was bold enough to go ahead with the spray paint.
I had doubts that the spray painting method wouldn't add anything and i could have just done the same in paint or screen printing, but i particually like the way that the paint doesn't stay strictly in the lines of the stencil and how it gives that watery effect which is definitely something that I've been trying to achieve within my work.



  • I'm really pleased with this idea so far, i just really hope that i can carry it through on a digital platform, thats definitely something that i worry about.
  • Will i lose that 'hand made' asthetic when translating it on to photoshop.
  • how do i keep it simple yet still have a narrative with meaning and purpose.
QUICK ROUGHS
I created some speedy roughs in order to get a general idea of how my postcards will look in terms of layout. Although i have created these roughs as initial ideas, i really want to learn and discover about the layouts through physically creating the designs on photoshop. I will find actually making and designing a really helpful element of the process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment