Rainbow

Wednesday 6 April 2016

Persons of Note - Photoshop

I have started to experiment with using a digital approach in my work. I felt that this would tie all of the different techniques that i was using together and make it easier to be experimental with colour and shape and sizing of elements within the image. 
I scanned in the different spray paint backgrounds and paper shapes and drawings that i had been working on. Seeing as I have already worked on a non digital platform planning out this idea for the postcards, i feel confident with how i will place the pieces together and how the colours will look together. Im really excited to see how it will translate onto a digital platform though - perhaps i could be experimental with layering and how the colours can combine and work together in ways that I can't make them do on a hand made level.








My first steps were to follow what i know from my experiments with the paper cuts in my sketchbooks and my roughs. I enjoyed placing the pieces together and found that it was so much easier and more flexible to work with when completing the same image on photoshop.

Despite working well in my roughs and initial designs for this idea, i feel like Yoshiro with no colour and the coloured background doesn't work as well as it potentially could. It's like its missing something, it looks somewhat empty....!?


I have experimented with adding a simple coloration and even this on its own works so well an so much better than the white body. I'm really pleased with myself how I've planned out the colours that I've used in order for them to work coherently together!! The peachy and mint tones work really well together and create an almost relaxing tone to the work, provoking the idea of idea making and creation which I am trying to show.
I like how the work is quite subtle, the tiled pool edge is just hinted at in the corner rather than overtly displayed.
After expiermnetation, I began to overwork my designs. Although I am happy with the way the colours work together I feel that when working together they don't have as much impact as they do when used in a more subtle manner. 
I asked the opinion of another student in order to get some feedback on my work. They suggested that the overworking of the colours makes them look dull which is a shame to miss out on the potential effect that the colours could have!


After even further experimentation and reduction of the colours I began to appreciate how using shapes and colour subtly can give them even more effectiveness. I think this is a really important aspect. I want to continue to make the other postcard designs in this way.
I am really pleased with how my photoshop knowledge has progressed, on the final design (for now) I have used a mixture of the blend and multiply tools in order to create a water like effective, playing with the way that light and shapes change underwater. 






No comments:

Post a Comment