Rainbow

Wednesday 9 December 2015

Shape and Texture Portrait

I started the task without having an image of what the final portrait will look like, I think this really assisted me in creating a variety of textures that I would use to create the final portrait image.
I used acrylic paints, ink, felt tips and colouring pencils in order to create a variety of textures. I really enjoy the spontaneity of this task and used not just brushes and the pen tools but ended up using finger prints and found that this gave other interesting textures and effects.
I really liked the texture of thicker paint being pushed into a thinner layer, I think this gives a really interesting texture and almost looks furry.
The mixing of colours and patterns in the process of making texture was a really interesting one to me, I found that the more tones of one particular colour, it made a better and more effective texture to work and create with, this is particular relevant within the hair as it defiantly reflects the tones and highlights that run through hair in different lights.
When it came to making the face itself and putting the elements together, I really enjoyed seeing how the shapes and colours could work together. I found that the contrasting patterns and colours worked really well together and this is something that I tried to focus on when creating my portrait.  

The element of shape was a very important aspect to consider when creating my portrait. Shape is something that I often struggle to work with however in this case I feel that I have considered it well. I found that the textures enabled me to make more sense of the shape as a feature or an element of the face rather than just another shape without much meaning to it. For example, the strands of hair all work together to create the overall piece and the textures and combination of colours on this help it work together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment