Rainbow

Tuesday 8 May 2018

SUMMARY POST 2

Briefs Completed / In Progress:

Travelling Man Exhibiton
The Hamster Poster.
Fashion Student Collab.
Self Initiated Brief
Nest

Following on from the feeling of not liking my current process and how I was approaching topics and ideas, I began to research and visit places and art galleries that I felt would motivate me to begin to consider ideas to explore for my self initiated project.

I visited God’s Own Junkyard in London, Europe’s largest neon light collection. This for me was a major turning point. I have never been to a collection/museum/gallery where I have come away feeling so incredibly excited and motivated to create a whole body of work. The colours, lights and randomness of the items within collection made me think about different elements of collage, ideas and imagery that I could combine within my own work to form different pieces. At this point I wasnt completely sure what the meaning of my work would develop into, but I was really happy that I felt so inspired!!


Following this inspiration, I began to form series of sketchbooks where I would literally drawn whatever came to my mind, this was based from inspiration from the collection and pieces of modern and nostalgic culture and imagery. I discussed with my tutors my process and this method of creation through making in the sketchbooks and I was told to continue with how I was doing this. This was really encouraging as I had finally started to step away from my old style of working and began to work in a completely different way that was still seen as successful!





I also began to research relevant imagery alongside these sketchbooks including idents and tv openings that are seen as nostalgic from the 70's to 2000's. This was a really helpful way to explore new imagery to inspire my practice.


REFLECTION FOLLOWING SKETCHBOOK CREATIONS:

I'm feeling a bit confused and lost at where my extended practice work is going.
After a long break from this module whilst I have been focused on context of practice it feels very random to come back to.
I'm really enjoying it but it feels so out of place and almost too random, maybe I need an end point, a goal like a book or a film or maybe both?
At the moment, I'm going to continue creating and making gifs and collages based on my hand drawn and cut work, I feel that this is the best method for me to understand where my practice is heading in this module.
I have enjoyed working to the two small briefs that I have done but I don't feel that I want to continue working with this. 
                                                                                                                                                       

Alongside this I was still working on the fashion collaboration breif, however at this point i was coming to realise that when I was so invested into another project I found it hard to stay motivated about one in which I wasn’t fully engaged with. Despite this I continued to create the work, however, one of the best methods of working that I had learnt from my new way of sketchbooking was just to create by doing, I found that often, this allowed me to produce my best work.


Overall I was fairly happy with the outcomes of the short collaboration brief, however, I still feel that if I had more time and I was more invested as the project as a whole, perhaps if I had been involved within the photoshoot I would have been able to understand the project fully and produce a more detailed body of work.

The university magazine ‘Nest’ released their new theme of ‘red’, again this was quick turnaround brief that I felt I wanted to complete. I began considering different topics and based on my inspiration from God’s Own Junkyard and the Religious aspects that a lot of the pieces there explored I decided to create an illustration using cherubs and a heart, which didn't nessicarily relate, but that was one of my favourite ideas from the collection. Objects, items and artwork sitting together in a collection, not having any connection but still working together and creating a new narrative.




Although I reverted back to my way of working my line art, I felt slightly happier with the ideas and themes that ran through this piece. I will definitely  continue to work in this inspired and innovative way for myself. I feel so passionate and excited about my work at the moment and Im really excited as to where its going to lead me.

My next steps were to fully focus on the work from my self initiated brief, I felt so excited and motivated by this, I couldnt wait to explore the topic further.

No comments:

Post a Comment