Rainbow

Tuesday 8 May 2018

SUMMARY POST 1

Briefs Completed / In Progress:

  • Travelling Man Exhibiton
  • The Hamster Poster.
  • Fashion Student Collab.
  • Self Initiated Brief


Following on from my work on level 5 and my exploration of Gif creation over summer I was approached by a number of people asking to complete briefs for small projects. This was a big compliment as I felt at this point that my work wasn’t really heading in the direction that I was intending for it to go. I was creating simple line work and although I felt my work had elements of comedy and meaning behind it, I felt this it didn't aesthetically look how I was wanting it to.

My first completed piece of work was a piece of fan art for the comic book shop ‘Travelling Man’. I created a Phil Mitchell Eastenders posters, although I was really happy with the reaction to this and Comedian Russell Brand purchased a print of the work, the line work, colour and even media and ‘style’ just wasn't what I was wanting to make and create. I also felt that I slightly rushed this brief and I was worrying about the placement of the work within the comic book shop, I was worrying and comparing myself to the style and media used by others who were also putting work in the exhibition. I felt very lost at this point as to where my practice was heading, I wasn’t really enjoying drawing in the traditional sense and felt that I could create work in a different method.

EASTENDERS POSTER


Following on from the Eastenders poster I was asked by a group of film students to work on a poster for their final year film ‘The Hamster’. This was a paid commission which was a compliment, however, they wanted to see my work in the same ‘style’ as the Eastenders poster which, again, wasn’t the direction that I wanted my work to be heading towards.



I used the same process to create the poster through sketching, scanning and adding digital colour I was able to create the poster in a similar aesthetic style as before. It was interesting to be creating work for someone else as I found that I judged myself a lot more as I really wanted to impress the client. This wasn’t necessarily something that I enjoyed in the sense that, through making work I wanted to be able to like it myself and not have to worry if its similar enough to previous work or if someone else will like it. I had to keep reminding myself that they wouldn't have asked me to complete the poster if they didn't initially like my style. This was a big battle and challenge for me at this point. It was also a challenge to use the text in the poster so that it was appropriate as a film poster for the students. I studied existing posters and was able to learn and examine how font and sizing of the text is used.

THE HAMSTER POSTER



The film poster was quite a quick turn around so I was able to complete it within a few days, I wasn’t nessisarily very happy with it myself but the film students were really happy with it.

Another brief that I was approached to do was by a third year fashion student, she had seen my experimental gifs that I had completed over summer and was interested to collaborate with me and use some of her fashion photos in a way that combined moving image. This was a really existing prospect as it was stepping away from the line drawings which i really wasnt enjoying at this point.
This was a slightly longer brief so I took time to plan and consider how I could use the images in an exciting and different way.

EXAMPLE OF EXPERIMENTAL GIF FROM SUMMER


FASHION STUDENT IMAGES TO BE TURNED INTO GIFS.

 The theme of the images was 'Dreams' so I was excited to be playful with the moving images.

My next steps will be to complete the fashion gif brief and begin to explore what I actually want to be creating and making.

  • What do I enjoy?
  • What do I find aesthetically pleasing?
  • Why do I want to step away from my older work?

No comments:

Post a Comment