Rainbow

Sunday 4 October 2015

OUIL404 Visual Language


As a part of improving my visual language skills, I took part in a variety of observational drawing tasks. I really enjoyed the challenge of drawing in order to get a sense of the scale, shape and tone. 
This drawing was a squirrel skeleton, initially I found it difficult to get the shape of the intricate object, however I feel that the end drawing was successful as I studied the joints and detailed features of the skeleton.

Another observational drawing was leaves, I decided to use a slightly thicker pen for this with a felt tip texture. I focussed on the shape of the leaves and how they bend and fold into each other as well as curving around each other. Initially I found it difficult to draw the leaves in an 3D style, however I feel that as I drew more the drawings became more successful. 




My third observational drawing was a class member drawing. I wanted to challenge myself by drawing a moving subject. I found this one particularly difficult as with the thin felt tip as my medium it was difficult to draw the detail and tone in the clothing and face. However, I feel that the quick yet considered marks were a successful element of the final observational drawing. 












Another drawing that I was pleased with was the antlers from the Royal Armouries in Leeds. I chose to draw this particular subject as I loved the textures and the way the antlers seemed to weave around themselves, I wanted to dry and recreate this effect. I feel that the antler drawing on the right could have been better if I had used a different medium such as a thinner fine liner in order to recreate the details and interesting texture that the antlers had.

Overall I really enjoyed the observational drawing tasks and I found it extremely helpful in terms of improving my visual language skills. I think it's important to continue with the repetition of drawing in order to improve skills but also improve the idea of using your eyes as a tool to assist in illustration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment