Rainbow

Wednesday 7 October 2015

Visual Language - Observational Drawing

On Tuesday 6th October, I continued with the exploration into observational drawing. We were to do two separate studies, one from a still image or photograph in a book and the second from a physical object, in particular a plant. 
I found that drawing from the still image was a lot harder for me to do, I think this is because there wasnt much concept of physical size or tone as it remained the same no matter how it was drawn. I understand that images and stills are an important aspect of illustration in order to collect sources to draw from when it's not possible to draw from life, but I found it wasnt as effective as having the subject directly in front of me. I chose to draw a shell from a sea life book, I feel uneasy about my final drawings as I feel that towards the end of the task I began to make up parts of the image when I couldn't necessarily  see it on the photograph in the book.



I really enjoyed the real life observation task as we were asked to think about how we translated the subject onto the paper. I looked at different ways that I could do this with the medium of ink. I found that when using a nib or a finer brush that the line work was more effective, yet a thicker brush gave a tonal image, both of which have used for different types of observational drawing. I was really pleased with my final images of the Peace Lily plant, I think I have focused on the leaves and the shapes and lines in them really well in order to create an effective drawing.
I also really enjoyed using the ink medium as I haven't worked a lot with it in the past. I really like the effects you could achieve, particularly with the nibs, I felt that they complimented by finer, detailed style showing my strengths of line and shape. I will definitely use ink again for visual tasks. A negative of the ink was that it wasn't as definite as a simple fine liner, you can not always predict that the ink will go where you place it on the page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment