Rainbow

Tuesday 27 October 2015

A Day in the Life - Initial Ideas

The article I was given for the Day in the Life project was based around the idea of Misogyny and 'Lad Culture' and how it is negatively effecting the minds of men, particularly of university student age. I found the article shocking which really inspired me to begin researching into the topic immediately. I found books based on gender stereotypes and how this can shape and form peoples attitudes and personalities in terms of the treatment of the opposite gender.
The NUS defines lad culture as a group or 'pack' mentality. This was the phrase that initially made me think about the idea of a 'pack of wolves', which in many ways have the same characteristics as a group of 'lads' on a stereotypical 'night out'. I began by looking at the physical form of a wolf and how I could draw it as this is something that I haven't tried before. I initially I found it really difficult to get the proportions and shape of the wolf head but after further experimentation and use of different source then I was able to come to a conclusion that I was happy with.

Following this, I began to look at how I could incorporate this image of a wolf into the idea of Lad culture, I looked at photographs from clubs in the local area and how lad culture and drinking culture is such a large part of these nights out. I began to draw these photographs and combined my wolf head drawings with the bodies. I really liked this idea and wanted to continue with it.

Following on from my drawing experiments, I began to create potential roughs that could be used for my final designs. I found this technique really helpful as it enabled me to see what my final designs could potentially look like without having to fully commit to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment