Rainbow

Saturday 29 October 2016

MONOPRINT EXPERIMENTS

Before the second mono print induction, I decided to go to the print room and start making work to inspire potential designs for my prints.

I really enjoyed mono printing last year, I find it an exploratory process full of discovery and creativity. Although I struggle with producing the specific designs that I set out to create, I really enjoy creating the new shapes and colours, and at this stage of the printed pictures brief, I feel like it's an important process to just MAKE and CREATE without putting too much thought and specific considerations for the outcomes.


Based on my initial design ideas of the baby surrounded by natural elements, I played around with shapes and cut outs to see different compositions and dynamics that this design could work in.

WHAT WENT WELL?

  • Just being able to PRINT, I've forgotten how good it felt to just produce work and have fun whilst doing so in a creative way!
  • I have a better understanding of the potential layout for this design. I need to work on it more but I feel like it's really progressed in terms of understanding the potential and effectiveness of it. 
  • Every time I mono print, I feel like I improve, I learn something new about being able to use overlaying patterns and colours and learning about the way changing just one simple element of the print can effect the whole narrative, and thats so interesting and intriguing to me! I can't wait to find out new things about the other print methods.
WHAT COULD OF GONE BETTER...!!!
  • Like I said, I'm still learning about printing, I was finding it tricky to get the colours that I actually wanted in the first place, sometimes just being experimental isn't enough when you have a specific idea of the design in your mind.
  • I find that I'm quite a specific person within my work..dare I say PERFECTIONIST? so printing methods such as mono printing are difficult for me. I really have to force myself to step out of my comfort zone and ignore the fact that some of the colours arn't perfect, or the shapes didn't overlay in the way that I intended them too. But this is FINE, sometimes its better to be messy, it feels more creative and then you can take elements from the mess to create something perfectly messy!
I'm looking forward to the actual second induction, I might learn new things that I've forgotten so that will be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment