Rainbow

Friday 9 September 2016

Summer work and Initial Drawings for Angela Carter

Once I had begun my research on Angela Carter by reading some of her work and stories, I began to respond through drawing and visual imagery.
I really enjoyed the freedom of this work, I hadn't been set a specific brief but I was really enjoying just being able to make drawings for my own reflections and research.
I specifically focused on the metaphors that Carter uses in her writing. I looked at my favourite quotes from the stories of hers that I had read and thought about colours and ways of thinking that I wanted to represent.


Alot of Carter's work looks at the female form and feminine imagery, for a while now I've been wanting to improve on my life drawing skills and I felt that this would be the perfect opportinity to improve this. I found a life drawing website and began to make quick sketches to get the inital form and shape of the body before making more detailed sketches and works! I really enjoyed this mini task I set myself and I'm going to attend the life drawing society this year in order to improve my skills even more! 

I thought about the locations and colours that Carter writes about in her work, I particularily like the quote from 'The bloody Chamber' 
"Sea; sand; a sky that melts into the sea - a landscape of misty pastels with a look about it of being continuously on the point of melting."
and based on this, I used spray paints and gouache to create a 'misty' pastel scene trying to bring my images of Carter's description to life, I was really excited by using all of these colours, and whilst being away from Uni over summer I forgot how much I love creating and being imaginative!

Overall I'm pleased with my initial visual research of Carter's work, I feel I've made a very good starting point in order to make an informed start on the new brief when I return for the start of second year!

No comments:

Post a Comment